Hey beauties! How is everybody today?
I’m sure something that we can all agree on is that breakups are tough, right? In fact, regardless if you’ve been in an ‘official’ relationship or not, everybody’s faced rejection at some point in their lives. Whether it was way back in year 7 when the so called ‘love of your life’ ‘broke your heart’ because he was sending Farmville requests to your best pal and not you, whether it was when you thought you met ‘the one’ on a night out in Magaluf and cried when you had to say goodbye promising each other you’d ‘keep in touch’ when you got home or whether it was genuine all consuming heartbreak when you split up with your real ‘first love’ and thought the world was going to end (it didn’t by the way) we’ve all faced a little bit of heartache at some point in our lives. And it isn’t pretty. In fact, it’s one of the worst feelings in the world. But for me, when I’m going through that tough time rejection brings, music always helps me find myself again which is why today I’ve decided to compile a list of my ultimate favourite songs which always help me to power through the heartache, remind myself of who I am and keep me believing in single power! At the end of the day, it’s his loss, not mine.
1. DJ Jay – I’ll Get Over You This is a bop! “Don’t think you can get me down, because I’ve been on lower ground. I’ll make it through and I’ll get over you”. This is the ultimate song to get you through a breakup. It’s upbeat, fun and makes you wanna dance whilst reminding you that believe it or not, heck yes you’re gonna get over your ex.
2. DJ Boonie – The Single Life “It’s so great to be answering to nobody. Freedom’s got the sound. We are single yeah”! Yes! This is one of my all time favourite songs. It’s so much fun to dance to! It’s upbeat and positive and reminds us of all the great benefits there are to being single. If you’re ever feeling a little low because you don’t have a partner, this is the jam for you.
3. Chris Brown – Zero “Ask how many nights I been thinking of you, zero zero zero zero zero”. Another upbeat sassy song over here, Zero is the perfect song to sing along to to remind you to forget about that ex, cos’ they’re not even worth remembering.
4. Beyonce – Irreplacable “I could have another you in a minute”. Guys and doll’s there are pleeeenty more fish in the sea and just because one sole person didn’t wanna treat you the way you deserve, it doesn’t mean there aren’t 100’s of other people out there who would love to. As one door closes another opens and that boy who didn’t love you? Easily replaced with one who does. Remember huns, if they don’t treat you right, say goodbye!
5. Dua Lipa – IDGAF “I’m over you, now you’re all in the past”. Bye hun! In this song Dua sings all about an ex love who has seen she’s moved on and is begging for her back but she just does not care! And good for her. Ladies & gents, when you’re feeling down listen to this song and remember that in due time, you too will not give a f*ck!
6. Dua Lipa – New Rules “One, don’t pick up the phone you know he’s only calling cos’ he’s drunk and alone”. Never have I ever had an ex man who hasn’t tried to worm his way back into my life at some point or another after ‘breaking up’. It always happens. No matter what, the ghosts of boyfriends past will always come back to try and haunt us. GUESS WHAT, an ex is an ex for a reason and in this song Dua reminds us that when the little snakes try to worm their way back in, do not stand for it. Boo bye.
7. Little Mix – Power “You’re the man but I got the I got the power”. Okay huns! Whether you’re a boy or gal just remember you got the power and next time someone tries to do you dirty or talk ish to you, remember you got the power. Don’t stand for it!
8. Little Mix – Hair “He was just a d*ck and I knew it. Gotta get him out my hair”. This is the perfect dance anthem to sing along to with your friends when you need to remind yourself that that boy ain’t ish. Get him out your hair you can do so much better.
9. Fifth Harmony – That’s My Girl “You’ve been down before, you got up before”. When we break up with someone it always feels like the end of the world, regardless of whether you know it’s for the best or not (it is by the way) but remember when you were so in love with your ex ex boyfriend and you thought you’d never get over him? Well you did, so you’ll get over this one too. Just do your thing, focus on yourself and remember how fantastic you are always!
10. Charli XCX – Boys “I was busy thinking bout’ boys” Why you thinking about your ex when there are so many other boys (or gals) you could be thinking about? Like I said, there’s plenty of fish in the sea. Take your pick!
11. Cheryl – I Don’t Care “I don’t care oh oh no” Cheryl’s I Don’t Care is such a fun feel good song which instantly puts you in a good mood the moment you hear it. This song serves as a great reminder that there are way way more important things to be focusing on in life than someone from your past!
12. School Of Rock The Musical Soundtrack – I’m Too Hot For You “I’m too hot for you”. We all need a confidence boost after a break up, so sing along to School Of Rock’s I’m Too Hot For You, remember who tf you are and just remind yourself that you were way too good for them anyway.
13. Little Mix – Shout Out To My Ex “You made my heartbreak and then made me who I am”. Ultimately, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger and Little Mix’s Shout Out To My Ex is 100% the number one post breakup song of all time. Play it at full blast and sing along to your hearts content, because this breakup is gonna make you stronger and sassier than ever!
14. Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself “Gonna love myself no I don’t need anybody else”. Gosh this song is the best self love track going and so important to listen to after a break up, because we need to remember that love doesn’t just come from a relationship. Sure romance is nice but the most important love we can hope to find in our lives is self love. After all, we live with ourselves forever! Love yourself huns.
15. Beyoncé – Best Thing I Never Had “Honestly you turned out to be the best thing I never had”. One day you’ll look back on this relationship you thought meant the world to you and legit take a moment and think ‘what was I thinking’? Trust me, the person you’re so in love with right now will one day be so irrelevant to you, you’ll literally thank God things didn’t work out between you!
So there you have a list of some of my all time favourite post break up anthems. I find listening to these songs help so much when I’m experiencing a ‘relationship break down’ and they really do help to get me through!
What’s your favourite song to listen to post break up? Which song always gets you through when you’re experiencing relationship troubles? Let me know in the comments below!
Thank you all for reading,